Rime is actually a kind of frost, which is a white opaque granular structure deposit formed by ice crystals on objects whose temperature is below freezing point. Its formation process is: when supercooled water mist (temperature below zero) collides with objects that are also below freezing temperature, rime will form.
Rime can be divided into two types. Crystalline rime is formed when supercooled fog droplets collide with the windward side of an object with a temperature below 0°C. It is translucent frosted glass, with relatively high density, and the wind speed is relatively high when it is formed.
Granular rime is formed due to the saturated water vapor pressure difference between the ice surface and the water surface, which causes the supercooled fog droplets to evaporate and the rime to sublimate and grow.
When the supercooling water is relatively sufficient, crystal rime is generally formed, and when the supercooling water is relatively small, granular rime is generally formed.
Rime usually forms in the morning, and the time it disappears depends on the wind strength of the day. If there is no wind or very little wind, the rime landscape may last until noon.
The rime is formed in the morning, and you can see the rime hanging on the trees around 5 in the morning. As the sun rises slowly, you can also take pictures of the red morning glow sprinkled on the white rime, so the rime has a very good viewing effect.
Rime is not only of ornamental value but also a natural cleaner of the air. There are a large number of invisible particles in the air, most of which are below 2.5 microns in diameter.
They are small in size and light in weight, and they are harmful to the human respiratory tract. In the initial stage of formation, rime can absorb particles and play a role in purifying the air.
The following are some introductions to the beautiful scenery of rime around the world:
1. Rime at Niagara Falls, Canada: Niagara Falls is located on the border between Canada and the United States, and is one of the world's famous tourist attractions. In winter, the plants and branches around Niagara Falls form a spectacular rime scene, providing visitors with a unique viewing experience.
2. Mendong Mountain in the United States: Mendong Mountain is a mountain range in Nevada, the United States. The winter here is very cold, with heavy snow all year round. Rime scenes often appear on the branches of the mountains, forming beautiful ice sculptures.
3. Tromsø, Norway: Tromsø is a city in northern Norway. The rime scene here is very spectacular, especially against the background of the aurora, it is even more mysterious.
4. Rime on Lake Michigan in the United States: Lake Michigan is the largest of the five Great Lakes in the United States, and there will be spectacular rime scenes every winter. Especially places such as Port Monroe and St. Joseph in Michigan are the best places to watch the rime scene.
5. Rime in Hokkaido, Japan: Hokkaido is the largest island in Japan and one of the most famous places to watch rime in Japan. Especially in Asahikawa City, Kamiju Furuki Round Silhouette Park, Asahiyama Zoo and other places are the best places to watch the rime scene.
6. Jungfrau in Switzerland: Jungfrau is a mountain in the Swiss Alps and one of the most famous tourist destinations in Europe. In the local cold winter, the mountains and trees will be frozen into rime, forming a scene like a fairy tale.